So I decided to go by the picture on the pattern. More fool me. This has been a quick make, and a very easy sew. But unfortunately this pattern is so Dynasty that I can not explain my disappointment in trying it on after I had finished the pattern.
As you can see I chose the fabric as a challenge, not only has the fabric got a very large check print, but it is also a chiffon. So I was testing my skills in placement and taming the handle of the fabric.
Every step of the cutting process, I checked and went as far as using pins to line up the fabric, so there would be no slippage. I nearly went so far as tacking down all the straight white lines to ensure I made no mistakes. The simplest of patterns can quite often show the worst mistakes.
Every piece was tacked before sewing, except when I got cocky and just placed the sleeves into the dress, without checking.
As you can see from above, the sleeve when set in did not match the check. This really would have annoyed me when wearing the item, so I untacked the sleeves and re-set them by meticulously pinning them in place.
All good so far, the dress looked amazing on the stand.
However when I tried the whole item on! It swamped me.
There are still a few adjustments to make, I will be removing fabric from the sleeves and setting the shoulders to fit my own narrow shoulders. Small adjustments, but ones which will stop it from looking like it belongs in the eighties, to something I will feel comfortable wearing. The most important thing that I have learnt from this exercise is that preparation and good execution is vital to not having to go back and re-make an item.
All my lines are fine, seams etc.. However the initial paper pattern, I should not have judged it from the drawing.
I will post more on my alterations of this dress, it's one I know I will get a lot of use out of after it is complete. But sadly it is not yet.
So you may be aware that I am designing some new outfits for Barbie.
What I have not mentioned yet is the art of pattern cutting for this liitle figure.
Due to some ill placed advice on the internet, as to how to find dart widths I have had to re learn some basic Trigonometry.
This is not a bad thing, as I have a greater understanding now, as to how to explain basic pattern cutting. And will be doing that in another post very soon.
But just wanted to share the love of triangles, and referance to it in the book that has been helping me make sure my instructions are going to be correct for you.
This is a pretty easy pattern, and I am really using this as a trial as to whether I want to use this for my summer rain jacket.
Quick to cut out and very easy to construct, especially when using the fleece fabric that I had chosen. With the polar fleece it is unlikely that it will fray so I do not really need to hem any of the seams. I would say it eventually took me a day to make this item up.
I am really pleased with the results, and having remembered the limitations of sewing polar fleece on the sewing machine. This has been a good exercise for me to follow a flat shop bought pattern. Constructing and creating your own patterns you tend to forget the real benefit from reigning yourself in and following instructions from someone else.
I will use this pattern for my light weight rain jacket. However, I will probably be omitting the pockets as they add bulk to an area of my body that I really do not need to add extra width too, especially as I want the oversized look.
The solution for me here is that I can change the heads over with the aid of a hairdryer. But I would like to know why I have to be doing this to normalise a doll that was so close to being more normal.
I over excitedly ordered myself a new Barbie today, as they have finally made the model I wanted with posable ankles. I am aware that this makes me sound like an utter airhead, but this means that I can make flat shoes for my new fashion doll, rather than her permanent tip toe posture.
When this new doll arrives, I will be applying the same process as I am to all of my sample dolls.
Having graduated in Costume design from Wimbledon school of art, London, in 2001.