So I decided to go by the picture on the pattern. More fool me. This has been a quick make, and a very easy sew. But unfortunately this pattern is so Dynasty that I can not explain my disappointment in trying it on after I had finished the pattern.
As you can see I chose the fabric as a challenge, not only has the fabric got a very large check print, but it is also a chiffon. So I was testing my skills in placement and taming the handle of the fabric.
Every step of the cutting process, I checked and went as far as using pins to line up the fabric, so there would be no slippage. I nearly went so far as tacking down all the straight white lines to ensure I made no mistakes. The simplest of patterns can quite often show the worst mistakes.
Every piece was tacked before sewing, except when I got cocky and just placed the sleeves into the dress, without checking.
As you can see from above, the sleeve when set in did not match the check. This really would have annoyed me when wearing the item, so I untacked the sleeves and re-set them by meticulously pinning them in place.
All good so far, the dress looked amazing on the stand.
However when I tried the whole item on! It swamped me.
There are still a few adjustments to make, I will be removing fabric from the sleeves and setting the shoulders to fit my own narrow shoulders. Small adjustments, but ones which will stop it from looking like it belongs in the eighties, to something I will feel comfortable wearing. The most important thing that I have learnt from this exercise is that preparation and good execution is vital to not having to go back and re-make an item.
All my lines are fine, seams etc.. However the initial paper pattern, I should not have judged it from the drawing.
I will post more on my alterations of this dress, it's one I know I will get a lot of use out of after it is complete. But sadly it is not yet.
Having graduated in Costume design from Wimbledon school of art, London, in 2001.